Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Banana Nut Muffins

My LIttle One has a banana for breakfast every morning, so I have to keep a lot on hand.  This particular week we had 2 that we just couldn't eat fast enough.  Normal people would throw these away... but I guess that makes me not normal ;)  I started googlin' Banana Nut Bread recipes and found one that didn't use oil.  I was going to make the loaf of bread but when I looked up to see that it was 9:30 last night, I knew I didn't have time to wait for the hour cooking and then cooling time.  So I decided to adapt the recipe to muffins!  This recipe made 10.  In 12 hours 3 remain.  You do the math!! Our family of 3 is in looooove with these yummy muffins.  That's really all I have to say.  Try them for yourself!! Yum!
Banana Nut Muffins - from this wonderful website

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I did 1/2 cup all purpose and 1 cup whole wheat flour)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
6 tblsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans 

DIrections
In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.  Set aside. 

The original recipe calls for an electric mixer.  The late night called for something other than pulling out my big electric mixer.  So I just used my original "hand" whisk... using my whisk and a little elbow grease.  I also forgot to read the recipe soon enough to leave the butter and eggs out to get to room temperature.  So I ended up microwaving the butter for 30 seconds (should have done 20 - 30 seconds) and just setting the eggs out for about 5 minutes ;)  Ok, back to the recipe...
In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar together with a whisk until lightened in color and fluffy in texture.  You have to keep clearing out the whisk, just hit it lightly on the side of the bowl - it makes a mess, but works!  When the sugar / butter mixture starts to get light and fluffy, it stops sticking to the whisk.
 Part way through... keep going.
 Light and fluffy!

Mix the flour mixture until all the ingredients are well-blended and resemble the texture of brown sugar.  I mixed in the dry ingredients a third at a time since I wasn't using an electric mixer.

Add the eggs until well incorporated.  This step made me nervous because the mixture still looked really dry.  I checked to make sure I didn't need to add any water or anything.  Nope.  No liquids in the recipe.

Mash the bananas and chop the nuts.  See? I'm talking about using reeeeeallllly ripe bananas.
Using a spoon, fold in the bananas and nuts.  Make sure that all the ingredients are well incorporated.  The bananas made the batter "moist" and "batter-like".

For Muffins: Scoop the batter using an ice cream scoop into a greased muffin pan.  Bake for 23 - 25 minutes (mine were done at 25) or until toothpick comes out clean.  Let the muffins cool in the pan 15-20 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.

For a Loaf: Pour the batter in a greased loaf pan and spread evenly.  Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for about 15-20 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.

Store at room temperature on a plate covered with plastic wrap.

 And enjoy!  These make a delicious breakfast muffin or a tasty midnight treat ;)

The Verdict
I've never made banana nut anything because DH doesn't like it.  These muffins have a mild banana flavor.  If it was just me, I'd add more banana and nuts to the mixture.  But, they are tasty as is!  The nuts give it some crunchy texture.  I did not toast mine, but the original recipe suggests toasting them before you add to the mixture.  Next time I might try to make these into mini muffins to better suit little hands, but Little One did well with these this morning.  He thought he was getting a big treat with a big muffin!  Oh, yes, and I almost forgot... next time I might add in some dark chocolate chips... it would make these muffins simply divine!!!! I was worried that these would be tough because I had over mixed them since I didn't use an electric mixer.  It comes together well, makes a little mess, so don't be worried halfway through when your mixture looks really grainy.  I promise it will come together.  And after 25 minutes your house will smell of freshly baked bread and you have my permission to squeal in delight! :)

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment