Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Blueberry Yogurt Muffins (eggless recipe!)

Houston, we have a problem. There's only 1 egg in the house and I want to make cookies and muffins, both requiring eggs.  I found this recipe and googled "egg substitutions".  Turns out, you can use 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce in place of an egg (about 1 individual applesauce cup!)  Yippee!! My eggless blueberry yogurt muffins were a surprise hit!  I couldn't believe how great they turned out.  I used greek yogurt in them to give them a little more protein punch.  I'm telling you - they're a must-try!

Blueberry Yogurt Muffins - from this recipe

1 large egg, lightly beaten (or 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or 1 individual applesauce :))
1 cup plain yogurt (I used 8 oz - a combination of blueberry greek yogurt (6oz) & raspberry probiotic yogurt (2 oz))
1/3 cup vegetable, canola, or corn oil (I used canola)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used a few shakes)
1 to 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen, do not thaw)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. I used the liners and it made them easy to remove.

In a large bowl mix together lightly beaten egg (or egg substitute), yogurt, oil, and vanilla extract. I used what I had on hand since I really needed the egg but didn't have one to spare!  I started off measuring 1/4 cup of the applesauce.  The mixture ended up needing more liquid so I added the entire individual cup of applesauce.  I added the whole Greek yogurt - that was 6 ounces.  Then I approximated another 2 ounces of the raspberry yogurt (about 1/3 of the container).  The mixture looks gross and curdled with the addition of the oil, but it does come together.  Sorry I forgot to snap a picture when it's all completely mixed and incorporated!

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Fold in the blueberries before you mix in the wet ingredients.  'Powdering' the blueberries will help to keep them suspended throughout the muffin.

With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  I mixed in half of the wet mixture at a time.  Stir only until the ingredients are combined and moistened.  This is where I saw I had a lot of extra flour left over that would not mix in.  So I added the rest of the individual applesauce container.
I still had some flour left over at the bottom of the bowl, so I just scooped around that.  The batter will be thick, but it scoops out easily.  I used an ice cream scoop to evenly fill the muffin liners.


Bake in the oven 15 - 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.  Mine took exactly 20 minutes.  They were still really runny in the middle at 15 minutes. 
Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan.  Who can really wait that long?!?  We definitely snuck two before the 10 minutes were up.  But now, I am a believer in the wait time.  The paper liner comes off cleanly the longer you let the muffins sit.  Our first two muffins were not nearly as visually pleasing as the rest!

Enjoy with your cup o'joe and a little blog browsing!  A perfect Saturday morning!

The Verdict
I can't tell you enough how pleasantly surprised I was at this recipe.  When I pulled them out of the oven at 15 minutes and they were still runny in the middle, my exact words were "Don't get too excited."  But, that 5 extra minutes worked like a charm.  These tasted like a muffin you'd get out at a bakery!  They were moist and delicious.  And there's just something about a warm blueberry.  Mmmmm.  Little One was glued to my side when I had one of these muffins with me!  He would not stop eating them!!  They're totally worth a shot.  Eggless and all!

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried another fruit? I already have a really good blueberry muffin recipe so I was wondering if I tried another berry if it would taste as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried any other fruit, but I'm sure it would be good with other fruit or berries. A ripe pear is always delicious and unexpected in muffins. Let me know what you find out!

      Delete