Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Unstuffed Pepper Soup


This recipe was delicious even with all the substitutions I tried.   So we'll start it off with the original recipe I got out of the cookbook.  I'm sure it would be good as that too.  It's really apparent now that I didn't even make the recipe that was in the cookbook!  But it was yummy and did indeed taste like a stuffed pepper.
This is what it looked like in the cookbook.

Unstuffed Pepper Soup
Taste of Home: Casseroles, Slow Cooker & Soups, Copyright 2008
1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I used ground turkey)
3 large green peppers, chopped (I used red peppers)
1 large onion, chopped (I had about a half of a red onion and 1/4 white onion left)
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) beef broth (I used 2/3 box, about 22 oz of chicken stock)
2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted (I used one can of Healthy Request tomato soup then refilled the can with low sodium V8 juice and poured it in)
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained (I used 1 regular sized can of diced tomatoes - mine had oregano, basil and garlic - I had accidentally picked up)
1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained (I didn't use at all)
1 1/2 cups cooked rice

In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook the beef, green peppers, and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.  Stir in the broth, soup, tomatoes, and mushrooms.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add rice and heat through.  Yield: 10 servings
Well I started off in the largest pot I had.  I added the peppers and onions and a little extra virgin olive oil.  But when I added the turkey, the pot quickly got too small.  I know what they mean now when they say "don't crowd the pot." It was just pushing the turkey around the pot without actually cooking it and the turkey started sticking to the side.  I think soon I'm going to treat myself to a nice set of pots and pans.
So I put the cooking contents in the skillet and cooked the meat, peppers, and onion and then returned it to the pot.
Here are the substitutions I used.  It tasted delicious with these!  I had all this stuff on hand and decided it was close enough to the original recipe to get the same idea.  I was worried about the tomatoes, but they did fine.  Don't you hate when you pick up something off the grocery store shelf just to find when you get home it's something totally different?!  Grr.  That's what I had done with these tomatoes. Oh well!


It made a HUGE pot full.  Especially once I added the rice.  I absolutely LOVE this microwavable rice.  I use it all the time!  It's so easy and no mess.  We're going to have this for lunch tomorrow and then I'm thinking about freezing the rest.  I plan on turning leftovers into a chili by adding a can of beans (and maybe corn) to it when I reheat it.

To serve, I added some shredded swiss cheese and it hit the spot on a chilly night!


The verdict:
A great recipe!  Very versatile, as you can see by my many substitutions.  This would be easy to make vegetarian by adding some meat substitute crumbles instead of turkey or beef.  I'm sure it would be delicious with the green peppers.  The red peppers made it sweeter.   And I love the fact that it makes a HUGE amount!  This recipe would also be easily converted to a crockpot recipe.  After you cook the meat with the peppers and onions, transfer to a crockpot with the other liquids and turn on low 4 hours or high for 2.  (The time is my guestimate - so check for yourself after a few hours :))


UPDATE: I added 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed, a splash of low sodium V8 juice, 1/4 envelope of chili seasoning, and the rest of the soup to a pot on the stove.  I cooked it until heated through and bubbly, for about 15 - 20 minutes.  Serve it with cheese and a dolup of sour cream for a hearty, easy round 2 chili.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Made this tonight and it was perfect for a cold night - plus tons of leftovers. Just saw your update this morning - I will try that next time =)

    ReplyDelete