Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Orzo with Cranberries, Apples, and Herbs

Redeemed.  Tonight's recipe was much better and actually went along great with the disastrous Recipe 2 Turkey Tenderloin from yesterday.

This was the first time I purchased bulk fresh herbs.  They're sitting in my fridge in glasses of water... it looks like a jungle in there!  

Tonight's recipe is actually called "Israeli Couscous with Apples, Cranberries, and Herbs" from Giada De Laurentiis on foodnetwork.com, but it says you can make it with orzo.  I'm here to testament that yes, it is good with orzo :)




Orzo with Cranberries, Apples, and Herbs:

Orzo:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups orzo (or Israeli couscous or barley)
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 medium green apple, diced
1 cup dried cranberries (I used 3/4 cup of dried cherries and 1/4 cup dried cranberries)
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted**

Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

Directions:
For the orzo: In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat.  Add the orzo and cook, stirring occasionally until slightly browned and aromatic, about 3 to 5 minutes.  Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.  Drain.  (If using couscous, simmer until liquid is evaporated.)  Transfer the cooked couscous to a large bowl and set aside to cool.  Add the parsley, rosemary, thyme, apple, dried cranberries, and almonds.

For the vinaigrette:  In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper.  Whisk in the olive oil until smooth.  Pour the vinaigrette over the orzo mixture and toss evenly to coat.

**To toast almonds, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Arrange the almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool completely before using.


Here's what the Orzo box looked like. It's in the pasta aisle.  It's the first time I tried it.  It was tasty!  And Little One even liked to eat some after I cooked it.  Made for some good baby finger foods.

I toasted the orzo.  It is true.  Don't skip this step.  It really does develop a deeper, nutty flavor.  Mmmm...

I had 2 small pink lady apples that I needed to use up (surprise, surprise!), so I used those apples and 1 additional small granny smith apple for tang.  This was a good amount of apple.

To toast the almonds, I put them in a dry pan on medium low heat and stir occasionally until they are browned.  To me, this is a lot easier than firing up the oven, just for almonds.  Note of warning:  Keep an eye on them because once they start turning brown, they will burn quickly!

This is the maple syrup I have.  I splurged one day at the grocery store when it was on sale.  I've always wanted to try the real thing.  This is not the most expensive one on the shelf, but instead on the lower end of the cost range.   I don't know much about syrup, but it's a decent flavor.  I don't love it on waffles, but it was tasty in this vinaigrette.

 All mixed together.  A yummy side dish!

I put this in the fridge for about 20 minutes before we ate it and served it chilled.  It was really good paired with the heated turkey.

The Verdict:
Definite keeper.  The apples and cranberries/cherries gave it a nice sweetness and the apples and almonds gave it a nice crunch.  I'm going to have to try some onion with it too sometime.  I think that might be tasty too.  You could easily add protein to this vegetarian dish by adding some cooked, shelled edamame.  I enjoyed it with the orzo and don't know if I'd try it with the Israeli couscous.  I'd love to hear it if you make it with the couscous though.  Give me a shout!

UPDATE:  This is delicious the next day as a salad!!  I put some romaine lettuce down, several scoops of the pasta, then some tuna and topped it off with a squirt of lemon.  I LOVE this recipe!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment