Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Scratch Made Muffins


I've been looking for some scratch made recipes ever since I learned that most pre-packaged box mixes have trans fat in them thanks to some of the preservatives. Not to mention, the money you can save by whipping up your own batch of muffins.  The options are endless as to what you can 'throw in' them.  I wanted some muffins this morning, it is Saturday after all, and googled away to find some easy ones.

I came across this site.  It's true.  I tried her recipe, as is, and it makes a great base.  I added oats, chocolate chips, and cinnamon to my batch and made my own scratch made muffins.  She offers great advice on the different options you can change up to make your recipe more 'you'.




Sorry I didn't take any before or during shots.  Have I mentioned it is Saturday?  My laziness meter is out of the roof.  I guess that's a good indicator of how easy these muffins are to make.

Scratch Made Muffin base:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (I left out, oops)
1 egg
3/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
4 tablespoons quick oats                      ]
3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips     ]  MY ADDITIONS
1 teaspoon cinnamon                           ]

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl beat the egg, milk and oil.  Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.  At this point you will add in your flavors. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full and bake at 400 for 18 - 20 minutes (Mine too 17, but I think the oats made it denser).  This makes one dozen muffins.  You can also adapt this for quick bread.  Pour all the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake at 400 for 45 - 50 minutes.

Options for additions:

1) Blueberry muffins - add 3/4 cup of blueberries and 1 tablespoon lemon juice
2) Raspberry Lemon muffins - add 3/4 cup of raspberries, lemon zest and lemon juice (play around until your consistency is what you want it - I'm thinking try 2 lemons)  *My own creation {a.k.a. 'thinking out loud'}
3) Cinnamon raisin muffins - 1/2 cup of raisins and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
4) Apple cinnamon muffins - add 1 grated apple and 1 teaspoon cinnamon  *My own creation {a.k.a. 'thinking out loud'}
5) Banana (nut) muffins - add 1 - 2 mashed up bananas (1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc.)  *My own creation {a.k.a. 'thinking out loud'}
6) Carrot raisin muffins - add 1 - 2 grated carrots, 1/2 cup of raisins, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon  *My own creation {a.k.a. 'thinking out loud'}

You see... the options are endless!

Now, for some substitutions:
1) Original flavored rice milk in place of the milk
2) 4 oz of applesauce in place of the egg
3) 1/3 cup whole wheat flour and 2/3 cup white flour in place of the 1 cup flour
4) Add wheat germ?  I've never cooked with this, but she suggests that it increases the nutritional value.
5) 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce in place of the 1/3 cup oil  *My own creation {a.k.a. 'thinking out loud'}

As a time saver, try making these muffins while you're fixing dinner one night with the stove already on.  Make a big batch and freeze, pull out the muffins the night before and put them in the fridge for a quick, microwavable breakfast in the morning with a yogurt.  I think I definitely will be trying that!

The Verdict:
I always love a good recipe that I can change up and make my own.  I think I might try using applesauce next time because my muffins were a little dry.  I think this is because I didn't quite use 1/3 cup of oil (more like 1/4) and I added the oats which soaked up some of the moisture.  Nonetheless, the muffins were still delicious and passed the 'keep test'.  This seems to have endless amounts of options and be super easy.  I typically always have these ingredients on hand.  And these are a chinch to whip up.  This recipe is a keeper!

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I've not tried anything made from scratch but this looks do-able! I'm trying it this week...I just need to think of what can mix in. Right now all I want is chocolate (and I mean ALL I want is chocolate). M&M muffins anyone?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I vote YES for the M&M muffins! You could use the minis :-P Haha!

    ReplyDelete