Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Bowl Sunday

Go Big Blue?!  We're not big football fans, but where we live almost mandates that you love football and pick a team.  So, we are pulling for the NY Giants :)  But secretly, we're watching mostly for the commercials!

On the menu tonight:
Blue Corn Chip Nachos
Apple Blueberry Pie

No, I didn't specifically plan this menu because of who we are pulling for.  Instead, this is a meal of necessity when I realized I reeeeaaaaaallllllly needed to go to the grocery store.  And next to Thanksgiving, Super Bowl weekend in a big football area would have been wild AND cRaZy.  So, we made do with what we had around ;)




For the Blue Corn Chip Nachos:
1 can refried beans, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp (or to your taste) chipotle chili in adobo sauce, stirred and heated through in a saucepan on the stove.  This made the beans smokey and added some heat and also allowed them to be "dip-able".  Lay down a bed of chips in an oven safe dish, top with beans, and cheese.  Put under the broiler until cheese is melted.  I served it with a side of salsa and a lime wedge.  The lime juice is really good sprinkled on top of the nachos.  Now, if I'd gone to the grocery store, I would have looooooved to have added sour cream, tomatoes, green onions (I remembered halfway through my 2nd piece of pie {oops!} that I was going to use the leftover ones I had in the fridge), shredded lettuce, olives, etc.  Regardless, these were a tasty start to the kickoff of the Super Bowl!

Earlier in the afternoon I was hunting for a recipe to use some apples I had left in the fridge.  I only had 2 granny smith apples, you know the kind that don't have that crisp texture anymore because they've been carried to work and back again and overall a little past their prime?  I finally moved them earlier in the week to the top fridge shelf so that I would SEE them and REMEMBER to use them.  I knew I had some blueberries and a pie crust in the freezer, so I googled blueberry apple pie... and found one!  And it is DELICIOUS!!  {Yes, we ate half the pie!  It's fat and calorie free on Super Bowl Sunday!!}

For the Apple Blueberry Pie:
Filling:
2 cups sliced and peeled tart apples
2 cups frozen blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (I left out)
2-3 tbsp. lemon juice (I used the juice of half a lime)
9 inch pie shell, thawed if frozen


Topping:
2-1/2 tbsp. flour
2-1/2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. sugar


Combine all filling ingredients and place in a defrosted pie shell.  Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle over the top.  Bake at 450 for 15 minutes then 350 degrees for 30 more minutes.

I probably used the ratio of 3 cups apple to 1 cup blueberries.  It was good with this.  I thinly sliced 2 granny smith apples and had half a bag of frozen blueberries left.

This is one of the worst parts.  I didn't let my blueberries defrost, so when I went to combine the sugar, flour, melted butter, cinnamon, and lime juice with the apples and blueberries, the frozen blueberries stuck to everything.  I tried to toss using a spoon, but ended up using my hands.  It was a mess, but I ended up getting it well incorporated. 
I put the pie crust on a foil lined sheet pan, then added the filling.  I packed the filling down in the pie crust.

Then I added the topping.  I worked together the softened butter, flour and sugar with my fingers (2nd messy part!) to make it into a 'crumble' consistency.


And here it is in all it's glory.  Not too pretty, but OH SO goooood!  Mmmm.


Hope you enjoy the rest of your Sunday!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment