Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Turkey Meatballs

My DH doesn't like meatloaf and he didn't dig the turkey meatballs I made for Thanksgiving, so I was hesitant to try these.  They just looked so cute and delicious when I saw them sitting there on this blog post.  I figured I'd sell them as mini burgers.  And it turns out I didn't even have to.  His exact comment: "Meatloaf tastes like this?"  Maybe I might have a shoe in to try some meatloaves in the future!  This blog is so fun.  And her freezer-friendly post made me click right away.  She says "Meatballs are great. I actually defrosted some of these turkey meatballs two nights ago and it was such a perfect little meal when I really didn’t feel like cooking one more thing. I like to freeze individual tupperwares of four cooked meatballs with marinara sauce, and then it’s easy to defrost the perfect amount for one!"  Once I got the check of approval, I'm actually going to make a stock for my freezer for those nights I just don't want to cook.  Yippee!


Turkey Meatballs from this blog

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 onion, minced fine
handful of fresh parsley, torn 



Directions
Combine milk and bread crumbs and let them sit until you have all the other ingredients together.  
Finely dice the onion.  We're not huge parsley fans so I just added a few sprigs where I removed the leaves and tore them into the dish.  Add the onion and torn parsley to the meat.
 

I added some parmesan cheese, because I could! :) Then add in the soaked bread crumbs.

 Mix with your hands until well combined.  Roll into golfball sized meatballs.  I found that about halfway through the meat really started sticking to my hands and it made it difficult to roll the balls.  I rinsed my hands and it helped to form the last few.  This is a great recipe because I actually made the meatballs while Little One napped this afternoon and put them in the refrigerator until I was ready to bake them this evening.  Normally, you'd put the meatballs straight onto a sheet ban and bake.  But this make ahead way works well too!

Ready to bake! Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

 And they come out juicy and delicious. Mmmm!


 For dinner tonight I made my first every spaghetti and meatballs!  Once the meatballs were done in the oven, I added them to some marinara sauce I had heating on the stove.  I made some spaghetti and mixed everything together for a quick, easy, filling, and delicious meal!





The Verdict
Super excited to make a double batch of this recipe!  I foresee these alongside sweet potatoes for dinner OR topping a salad OR sautéed with onions and peppers for a quick sandwich OR with any kind of pasta and sauce OR anything else my little mind can conjure up!  The onions in this meatball give it good flavor and help to keep it moist.  I've never had turkey this juicy.  They really are delicious.  I'm going to feed Little One some of these tomorrow for dinner.  Excited to fix ONE meal for all three of us!  I love love love the fact that I can make these meatballs whenever I have a chance and pop them in the fridge until I'm ready to bake them.  Aaaannnnd I love that I can easily freeze these and pull them out when a quick meal is needed.  Yay for the moist turkey meatballs!  You are my new best friend!
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Does it have to be that particular type of bread crumb? Is there something different about Panko? I have never heard of it before. I am trying to go dairy free right now too so I think I could just sub the milk out for the coconut milk I'm using. This looks delicious! Def. on the menu for next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it matters what breadcrumbs you use. The original author says she uses Panko because that's what her mom uses. But the recipe just originally says to use breadcrumbs. Panko are not as fine as regular breadcrumbs and in other things make a much more crispier crust. They'd be good on the "Melt In Your Mouth Chicken" - for a crunch. I totally think you could sub the milk too. You could even try almond or soy milk. Possibly even water? You just want the breadcrumbs to be moist to help keep the meatballs moist. Hmm... something to think about! Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these tonight and another hit! I subbed out the milk with soy milk and although I did find the Planko breadcrumbs, they had dairy in them, so I had to look for something else. The only thing I could find was Shake and Bake so I used that. It wasn't bad at all...but I think breadcrumbs would have been a bit better, less mushy. We loved them though and Elli ate two! We had a few left over for lunch tomorrow. They were so easy to do -def will be making them again!!!

    ReplyDelete