Pages

Monday, September 9, 2013

Cheap Crock Pot Beans and Rice

People have commented to me that we eat a lot of beans and rice...they would be right.  We eat beans and rice a ton around our home because they are healthy, filling, versatile, easy, and CHEAP. That's right - we are penny pinchers and beans help us with our budgeting.  So here is yet another of our favorite beans and rice recipes.  I can prep this meal in less than 5 minutes (literally).  No chopping is involved. The most you will do is open a few cans.  


Here is what you need:
1 15 oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 15 oz can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
1 C of rice (I use brown rice - not the quick cook kind)
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 tbls olive oil
1/4 tsp salt (depends on your tastes - we use this or less but you can definitely do more!)
1 tsp Italian seasons (I was out last night so I used 1 tsp of thyme but any Italian seasoning will be good)
1/2 - 1 tsp garlic powder
2 C vegetable broth

If you compare my ingredients to the original you'll see some differences. Those are there because I didn't have what she used and decided I liked my substitutions. You can definitely play around with this and see how you like it. My ingredients picture doesn't include the veggie broth and tomatoes because I forgot them!  Sorry!!!

Sorry this picture is dark but this is the "before" cooking shot!
What to do:
1. Put your olive oil in bottom of the crock pot and pour rice in.  Mix it up and coat rice.
2.  Pour in beans, tomatoes (and all the juice of the tomatoes), and seasonings.  Then pour in the vegetable broth.
3. Cover and cook on high for about 3 hours. That is how long it takes in my crock pot.  Keep an eye on it and when you see all the liquid gone, it should be ready.  




I found these little flour "Stand and Stuff" tortillas and I put the beans in that last night.  Served with broccoli (steam in bag kind) and cantaloupe.  We all loved it.  I've also served this in a bowl with no wrap or as part of a whole wheat wrap. You can do with this however you like.  Trust me, you'll include it on your weekly menu too because it is so easy and so cheap!

Here it is after 3 hours - all ready to go!

Original recipe from here:





Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment