Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Easy Side Dishes and Snacks - Make Your Own Chips

I'm really excited about this post because this is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I have always been too scared to venture out into the world of "make my own chips."  I always thought it would be too time consuming, or my family wouldn't like that, or it would be too time consuming (yes I repeated but time is a big factor for me when cooking).  

Over the holidays however, I had a tiny bit more time to play in the kitchen so I tried out some recipes and what I found is - it isn't that time consuming at all. I mean, yes it takes more time to slice a sweet potato than throw a bunch of frozen fries on a baking sheet. But it doesn't take THAT much more time and in the end, we are being better to our bodies so it is worth it.  

I have compiled here the three recipes I tried and that are now in our permanent weekly rotation. I'm sorry there aren't many pictures. I honestly didn't think that I would post about them (figuring they wouldn't be blog worthy) BUT they are!

First recipe:  Zucchini Chips
Here Is What You Need:
-1 large zucchini
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-Sea salt

Here Is What You Do:
1.  Preheat oven to 225
2.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
3.  Slice zucchini thinly (my thinner slices were crispy and my thicker slices a bit more juicy but I liked both!)
4.  After slicing, sandwich the slices between paper towels and wring out any excess water
5.  Place on baking sheet being careful not to overlap
6.  You are supposed to pour olive oil in a bowl and brush on with a pastry brush. I didn't have a pastry brush so I just drizzled it on top of the slices while they were on the pan.
7.  Sprinkle the salt over the baking sheet.  Do not over salt them because as they cook, they will shrink so putting too much salt initially can make them VERY salty by the end.
8.  Cook for two hours until edges are brown and the chips are crispy and not soggy.

I loved these. We actually ate all of the serving in one evening. I left them out to cool but they never made it to the fridge.  The only thing I don't like about this one is the extended cooking time. Still, if you pop them in during the afternoon, they are ready for a dinner side dish!



 Original recipe here:  http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/2012/08/06/zucchini-chips/#.Us1IvZ5dWSp

Second recipe:  Sweet Potato Chips
Here Is What You Need:
-Two medium sweet potatoes scrubbed
-1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
-1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Here Is What You Do:
1.  Preheat oven to 400  
2.  Slice the potatoes into slices about 1/8 inch thick
3.  Divide sweet potatoes between 2 rimmed baking sheets
4.  Drizzle with oil and toss then spread them back into a single layer
5.  Bake, flipping once, until the centers are soft and the edges are crisp (about 25 minutes)
6.  Sprinkle with salt when finished



Ok I think these were definitely my favorites over the zucchini.  I loved the sweet and savory flavor.  My kids liked these (they never got to try the zucchini because I ate it before they had a chance!).  We will now serve these instead of frozen sweet potato fries.

Original recipe here:  http://www.marthastewart.com/317420/baked-sweet-potato-chips?czone=food/lunch-recipes/sandwich-recipes&gallery=1012916&slide=317420&center=856055

Third Recipe:  Baked Tofu Sticks
Here Is What You Need:
-1 package tofu (extra firm)
-Olive oil
-Sea salt (optional)
-Sauce for dipping (we used ketchup)

Here Is What You Do:
1.  Cut the tofu into sticks (about 3 x 1/2 inch).  
2.  Put them in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel on top and bottom
3.  Place another baking sheet on top and press down firmly. This is to rid the sticks of any excess water.
4.  Place cans on top and let it stand there until excess water is gone (at least 20 minutes up to an hour)
(I did this and then put them in the fridge until dinner and I was ready to cook!)
5. Preheat oven to 375
6.  Lightly brush the baking sheet with oil
7. Pat the tofu dry and lightly season if desired (I used sea salt) - now I'm wondering if you could make your own cinnamon sticks like this.....
8.  Place on a baking sheet - not overlapping
9.  Bake until both sides are crisp, turning halfway, for about 15 minutes per side.  

Alright - I loved these. I was very skeptical honestly but I loved them. My daughter loved them dipped in ketchup.  I am making them again TONIGHT already.  I know it sounds crazy and you are probably skeptical like me, but give it a try. I don't think you will regret it.


Original recipe here:  http://www.marthastewart.com/344302/baked-tofu-sticks

So there they are folks.  Try one - don't wait as long as I did to venture out and try something like this. I love love love that these things are healthy (I mean look, less than 5 ingredients - you can't beat that!) If you try one, please let me know. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Check out the Team Act Facebook page TODAY for a giveaway. You simply like the page, like and share the post about the giveaway to win a free 7 day fitness challenge complete with meal plans, exercise samples and 100% of my guidance. Whoo hoo!


Until next time!




Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment