Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies

These breakfast cookies are a big hit in my clean eating challenge groups. They are filling, delicious, and kid friendly.  Not only that but these cookies are completely clean and vegan so you know what you are eating and you know it is good for you.  I give these to my kids without any concerns.  I do need to admit - we don't actually eat them for breakfast - we eat them all day long!  I think they would make a great breakfast warmed up with a dab of peanut butter on top but we haven't tried it yet. We usually have these as an afternoon snack or a treat after lunch.  They really are a versatile cookie and you can use whatever you have in the pantry to make it work for you. I am going to include the original recipe but I'm writing up how I make them personally (and you know it is going to include some chocolate).


Here's What You Need:
-1 C unsweetened applesauce
-2 large mashed bananas
-2 tablespoons maple syrup
-1/2 C craisins
-1/4 C walnuts (original recipe calls for almonds but we had chopped walnuts)
-1/2 C mini chocolate chips (original recipe calls for fresh strawberries but we didn't have those and chocolate sounded so good)
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp sea salt
-1 1/2 C old fashioned rolled oats

Here's What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and prepare your baking sheet (I line mine with aluminum foil and spray with Pam)
2.  In a bowl mix together your applesauce, mashed bananas, and syrup. (I decided to mash and stir all at the same time!)


3.  Add in your fruit and toppings. 
4. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sea salt..
5. Stir in the dry oats.


6. When it is combined, create 12 cookies by using the 1/4 C measuring cup to divide batter.



7. Bake for 30 minutes until golden. (Original recipe says rotate the cookie sheet halfway through but I always forget to do that.)


Store these delicious treats in the fridge if you don't finish them all off in one day!

Let me know what you think about these.  Have fun with them - you could add in fresh fruit, any dried fruit like raisins, or a variation of spices.  Delicious!







Original recipe here:
http://fooddoodles.com/2012/09/11/real-breakfast-cookiesvegan/
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment