Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Vegetable Couscous Salad

The picture looked so good in the magazine and I already had some couscous that I had bought in the pantry hoping that I would be adventurous enough to try it one day.  You know the kind that usually gets thrown away years after its expiration date when you finally clean out the deep dark corners of your pantry?  Trouble is... I bought the wrong kind of couscous.  I had intended to buy the small fluffy kind, not the pearly 'mushy' kind.  Grrr.  I was just looking for one that said it had no flavoring.  It was hard to tell from the picture on the box because there was nothing you could visually compare the product to.  But, note to self, don't get couscous that says "PEARL" on the box.  Blerg.


As soon as I opened the box today, though, I knew.  This kind is too big.  And sure enough, it has flavors reminiscent of that awful oatmeal I tried to make Sunday morning.  I'm just not an oatmeal girl.  I think it's because I don't like mushy cereal.  Yep, I won't talk to you while I'm eating my cereal because it gets soggy too quickly.  Just ask DH, or my mom.  I inhale it.  She had to call me back one night because I had just poured a bowl of cereal.   Kinda sad you won't talk to your own mom over eating the cereal.  This was after my DH had answered my cell too.  I didn't even talk to her to tell her I had just poured a bowl and to call back in 5.  Bless her heart.  Thanks for still loving me mom!  But, I digress...

Here's the recipe:

from Martha Stewart Everyday Food September 2011 issue


1 cup couscous
1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
1 medium tomato, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, torn
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice


Cook couscous according to package instructions.  In a medium bowl combine all other ingredients.  Season with coarse salt and ground pepper.  (To store, refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days).  Serves 4.


I boiled the couscous according to package directions. It actually took 2 minutes less than what the package called for.

Meanwhile I chopped all the veges.  And I added an extra half of a tomato since mine were kinda small.

Then, after letting the couscous stand covered for 5 minutes I joined it with the other ingredients in the bowl.  I added the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
 Notice how mine turned out (above) and what the magazine article looked like (below).

The Verdict:
It was bland, so I added some salt and pepper and another squeeze of half a lemon. Now it's a little salty and lemony.  Hmmm... better luck next time?  I will definitely try this recipe again when I have the smaller couscous.  Side note: I let it set for a while and the flavors seemed to meld together some.

I had hopes that it would be a good lunch for tomorrow with some chicken maybe.  We'll have to see about that.  Maybe it will be better tomorrow!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment