Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Veggie & Sausage Egg Scramble

On the menu tonight is Chicken Tetrazzini... except for who's the dummy that forgot to take it out of the freezer until this morning??  {Hand vigorously raises and waves in the air, "Me! Me! Me!"}  Oh well.  I guess that's what for dinner tomorrow!  So, I had to scramble, pardon the pun, to find something for dinner tonight.  This is a super customizable meal because I definitely threw together some frozen veggies, some leftover broccoli from dinner two nights ago, some cooked sausage, and some eggs.  And voila!

Top with cheese and you're done!




First, I browned some sausage.  I use Neese's HOT sausage.  It's our favorite and my in-laws just brought us 4 packs of it!  I knew it would make DH happy to come home on a rainy Friday night to the smell of cooked sausage :)  He's a nibbler.  I find it easier to put the sausage in whole and use a spatula to break the sausage up in the pan as it's cooking instead of trying to slice it beforehand.

Once, the sausage was done, I removed it from the pan and let it drain from the grease on some paper towels.  I wiped out any excess grease from the pan.  I went to my fridge and pulled out some leftover grilled frozen veggies I had.  Cook the veggies on medium until warmed through.  This morning when I pulled out the Chicken Tetrazzini from the freezer, I also pulled out the frozen grilled vegetables I had left and put them in the refrigerator.  There was still ice on them when I put them in the pan tonight and warmed them through, but they weren't frozen solid.  I ran across this vegetable blend in the freezer section a while back and it has been a lifesaver.  It says you're supposed to roast the veggies on a baking sheet, but this worked great too for my purposes.  I'll be looking for more of these in the future.  The best part is the only ingredients are the frozen veggies.  Nothing weird, no strange additives or a bunch of salt.  A home cook's best friend... literally, just frozen grilled veggies.

I added some broccoli leftovers that we had from two nights ago, just to give it some green and use up what we had.  I also added two hands full of the cooked sausage back into the pan.  Meanwhile, I cracked and whisked 6 eggs (3 eggs & 3 egg whites).  I added some ground pepper to the eggs and a few shakes of red pepper flakes to the pan for a little kick.

I poured the eggs in and scrambled them until they were set, about 5 minutes or so.  Talk about EASY!!

Put it on a serving dish and sprinkle some shredded cheese and you have dinner!  Serve with some slices of apple or a fruit salad on the side for a yummy, quick and easy complete meal.

The Verdict:
This recipe is just like the Lazy Chicken one.  I LOVE IT because it's SO versatile.  You can add just about any leftovers to it and make a meal.  Most times I make it vegetarian style with no meat because I typically don't keep a lot on hand.  Add diced ham, sliced sandwich meat, roasted shredded pork... I'm telling you ANYTHING.  I like to use some canned artichoke hearts, quartered, and diced onion - always a crowd pleaser.  It also would be good with tomato diced, mozzarella cheese - you could even add some black beans and chili powder for a Mexican flair.  Have picky eaters?  Cater this meal to them - add the veggies they like or hide some veggies in the mix!  Shred carrots, zucchini, onion and add those instead of the whole veggies.  The options are endless!


Happy weekend!  Why do short weeks feel so long?
Hope your weekend is a restful one!
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Umm... you forgot the part about garnish when complete, with generous amount of Texas Pete... Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete