Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Cheese "Cookies"

This is quite possibly one of DH's most favorite recipes on the planet.  I *try* to make them for all his special occasions... birthdays, father's day... and they're a great "thinking of you" snack too.  His mom made them for him growing up.  I will never forget the first time I had these cookies - at his high school graduation party.  It was the first time I was actually meeting his family and to try the much talked about cheese cookies.  I popped one in my mouth thinking "Oh, they're going to be sweet because they're 'cookies'."  I almost choked because they are buttery, cheesy, and flaky.  Haha!  Since that moment, I've seen them called Cheese Straws when they're out or you buy them in the store.  These are called "cookies" because of their round shape.  So... I tried making them for the first time in college.  I hand shredded a block of cheddar cheese, mixed them diligently, and they were terrible!  I couldn't get the batter to stick together.  I anxiously called his mom to ask what I was doing wrong.  It would have definitely fallen into the "disaster" category.  But, still, he stood by me :)  Haha!  Over the years, I've continued to make the beloved cheese cookies and have fiiiiiinally perfected the recipe to nothing short of a quick and easy and most importantly, reliable, recipe!

Hello buttery, cheesy, salty, savory cookies.

Cheese cookies, adapted from my MiL's recipe

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups flour
2 sticks salted butter
cayenne pepper to taste
hot sauce to taste
Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top

Soften butter in the microwave and mix well with the cheese. 

Add the flour and mix well.  I usually add the flour 1/3 a cup at a time.  It helps not to get it all over the place when you mix!  Then, add in the cayenne pepper and hot sauce to taste.  I usually do a few shakes of each.

 Note: Look at this Cayenne Pepper closely.  I looked ALL OVER the spice rack in the grocery store for this.  Who would have thought they would change the name?!  Ground (Cayenne) Red Pepper Maybe it's just me or my eye sight is getting bad or maybe it's the mommy brain - but it's only by the grace of God my eyes laid on this Cayenne fiiiiiiiinally!  Don't they know we need all the help we can get in the grocery store with Little One clearly ready to leave.the.store. ??

I use a mini ice cream scoop to scoop out the dough (see picture below).  It is what makes this process amazingly quick.  At first, I rolled the dough out and used a small cookie cutter to make the disc shapes, but that took FOREVER AND A DAY.  Then I used to hand form these babies, and that took FOREVER.  In order for me to be able to make these as often as DH would like, I had to streamline the process.  So you spray the foil lined baking sheet and scoop these babies on.

Then, take a fork and press the balls of dough down.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  


Bake at 350 degrees for 12 - 13 minutes.  Sometimes if it's rainy or humid I find that I have to bake them a little longer to make sure they're the light and flaky texture they're meant to be.



The Verdict
These are party ready.  If I had to guess, my poor DH ate the whole batch (it makes 32ish) in a few days flat while Little One and I were gone.  They would be really yummy with some soup on a regular night.  But, if you ask DH, they make a Tuesday at work a whole lot better... no need to wait for a party!

Hope you enjoy this guilty pleasure at least half as much as my DH loves them!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment