Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Parmesan Chicken

Now, this is one of those recipes that I had to master before DH and I were married  :)  Or at least that's the story he likes to tell.  Haha!  My mother-in-law makes this recipe.  It is an easy way to make all sorts of chicken.  I've made it as chicken strips, chicken nuggets, and if you have the time - I'm sure you could use the whole chicken breasts.  The less time I have though, the smaller I cut my pieces usually. Mmmm, makes my mouth water just thinking about it!  One of the best parts... they freeze great!  Pop them on the top of salads, eat with veggies and potatoes, eat with some sweet potato fries... and more!


Hello Parmesan Chicken.
Parmesan Chicken - adapted from my MiL's recipe - thanks! :)

Here's the ratio:
3-4 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 stick of butter, melted
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 to 1 cup parmesan cheese, depends on your taste
teaspoon dried oregano (If you use Italian breadcrumbs, don't add oregano)

Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, turning once halfway through the cooking time.  (Note: If your pieces are bigger, it can take up to 45 minutes - and possibly longer if you use the whole breasts.  However, I still flip the chicken after 15 minutes, then again at 30 minutes, for a total of 2 times.  This makes an extra crispy crust.)


This is how much DH loves this recipe. I think this ended up being about 6 or 7 chicken breasts.  When all was said and done I used a stick and a half of salted, melted butter.  I use a pair of tongs to put about 5 or so pieces at a time in the butter and toss to coat.  Then I use those tongs to transfer the pieces into a gallon ziploc bag with the parmesan breadcrumb mixture.  I admit, I never measure the breadcrumbs and parmesan.  I just sprinkle some in until the mixture looks right.
Shake the bag.  YAY for easy cleanup and prep work! A great activity for the kids in the kitchen too!
Lay out the chicken on the baking sheet and cook. **NOTE** Use a new pair of tongs -OR- wash the ones you used earlier before touching the cooked chicken to avoid cross contamination.  Then drool as they come out of the oven.  I cheat and usually eat a few while I'm removing them from the baking sheet.  I just can't resist!


The verdict:
There's a reason these chickies are a family favorite.  They're quick and easy - seems to be a common theme of mine, huh?  They melt in your mouth and are very versatile.  Plop them on top of spaghetti and marinara and pop some shredded mozzarella on top for an easy chicken parmesan.  Add them to a salad for a quick protein.  Make kid friendly chicken nuggets... with REAL chicken.   Imagine that!  I always say that the next time I'm going to make a ton and freeze them.  However, they never  n.e.v.e.r.  last that long!  For the freezer - bake the chicken according to the directions above.  Freeze on a flat surface, separated (I usually put them flat - in a single layer - on a plate), then transfer them to a freezer bag once frozen.  I just thaw them out in the fridge and microwave to heat up.  You could always put them in some foil and put them in the toaster oven or real oven to heat them through if you want to maintain their crispy texture.

Try it out and let me know what you think!  Hope you enjoy one of our family favorites!


p.s.  There's one more meal coming up, but judging on the amount of time it took me to remember how to spell separated... it's time for me to hit the sack.  Little One will be up soon!  Goodnight and I'll catch you soon with the last recipe of the weekend!  Happy Monday :)
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment