Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cinci's Chili

Are you still out there?  Sorry for the lack of posts lately.  Little One is sick with his first bad cold and it's been slow going around here.  Lots of coughing and sneezing - I'll spare you the details ;)  So needless to say, I haven't been trying a ton of new things lately.  We are all off of our schedules and Little One is trying to give up his afternoon nap to boot.  Hopefully he'll kick the worst of it soon!

Three nights ago, yes, it's taken me that long to find some time to post, I made an old trusty stand by - my mother-in-law's Cinci's Chili.  It's a busy season for us!

So what exactly is Cinci's chili you ask?  It's a type of chili from Cincinnati "characterized by unusual seasonings such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and chocolate."  Traditionally, in restaurants, you can order it several ways:
Bowl: chili in a bowl
Two-Way: chili and spaghetti
Three-Way: chili, spaghetti, and cheese
Four-Way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, and onions
Five-Way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, onions, and beans
Source: Wikipedia

Today, we'll be making it Five-Way!!  You can keep these ingredients on hand for a busy night and it takes a snap to whip it up!  And look how delicious it looks:


Cinci's Chili - adpated from my MIL's recipe


1 can red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1/2 packet of chili seasoning, or to taste (I use McCormick - it has a hint of cinnamon in it!)
1/2 lb cooked sausage or ground turkey
1/2 box of spaghetti
1/4 onion, diced small
shredded cheese to top

(Makes 4 servings)

Cook the sausage or ground turkey.  I will tell you, I don't always add the meat.  I just so happened to have about a half a pound of Neese's sausage cooked that needed to be eaten up, so I tossed it in.  I also like to add the diced tomatoes to give it a little body, but those are optional as well. Likewise, I only had about 3/4 jar of spaghetti sauce left, so that's what I used.  Remember way up at the top when I said this is a great recipe because "you can keep the ingredients on hand"?  I wasn't lying! Use up what you have!

In a saucepan, mix the spaghetti sauce, kidney beans (rinsed and drained), diced tomatoes, and chili seasoning.  Heat until mixed through on medium heat, stirring occasionally.  I usually start the chili, then put on the water to boil for the noodles.  By the time water has come up to a boil and the noodles are cooked through, the chili is done.  Cook noodles.  Note to self, I needed a little more than half a box to have enough for 2 dinner size portions and 2 smaller lunch portions.

Meanwhile, dice onion and get out shredded cheese.  I use thin spaghetti or angel hair.  It makes it easy to eat and really allows the chunkiness of the chili to shine through.  I know it sounds weird to add onion and cheese to spaghetti, but I promise you, you won't be let down.  Top cooked spaghetti with chili, shredded cheese, and onions.  Mix it all together and it is sooo satisfying!

Yum.

The Verdict:
Such a great, easy, throw together meal.  It's also cost friendly because you can make it with or without the meat.  And pasta is a steal of a deal.  I usually try and stock up when it's on sale.  And if you add a whole grain spaghetti, it adds some fiber and extra protein to the meal as well.  I also try to use the no salt added beans and tomatoes since the spaghetti sauce and chili mix has some sodium in it.  It just helps control the salt content and you never miss it.  Hope you will try this delicious and ridiculously easy meal soon!

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm... Sounds great. Although it reminds me of a brief lay-over at the CVG airport. Had a few minutes, got the five way at Cincy's to go and took it on the departing flight home. After take off, opened it up to eat it. It was YUMMY, but... it sure smelled up the entire plane. I can still smell it to this day.

    ReplyDelete