Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Melt in Your Mouth Chicken

I tried this recipe tonight based on a recommendation from a dear friend.  And I must say, it didn't disappoint!  It was simple and easy even if I didn't follow the directions exactly... surprise surprise!  I thawed out some chicken breasts I had frozen in the freezer and the other ingredients I already had on hand - so preparation was a snap.   I added it with some asparagus risotto and dinner was ready in 45.  Oh yeah, and there's enough for lunch tomorrow.  Super stoked!

(In your best Homer Simpson voice) 
Mmmm.... meeeellllltt in your moooouuuuutttthhh.


Melt in Your Mouth Chicken
adapted from this recipe


For 3 chicken breasts:
1/4 cup mayonaise (I use Miracle Whip)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (All I had was the 'shaky' kind.  Gasp! Don't tell the Italians!)
Garlic Powder, Salt, and Ground Pepper to your taste
sprinkle of breadcrumbs

In a bowl, combine the cheese, mayonaise, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.  Measure out the parmesan cheese first.  Then measure out the mayonaise.  That way in your measuring cup the cheese doesn't stick to the residual mayo. Now, the original recipe calls for a 2 to 1 ratio of mayonaise to parmesan.  We aren't huge mayonaise lovers and I think my 1 to 1 ratio worked fabulously.  As a matter of fact, next time I could go a little shy on the mayonaise and it would be just fine.  We like the tangy flavor of Miracle Whip.  I added a few shakes of garlic powder, a few grinds of pepper, and skipped the salt since the 'shaky' parmesan has enough.  {Side story: My dad has always called Kraft Parmesan cheese the "Shaky cheese" - I guess that's why I call preaching "big church" too! Isn't it funny how some things just stick with you? :)}

 I sprayed the baking dish with a little non-stick cooking spray.  Spread the cheese / mayo mixture on the chicken breasts.

I then sprinkled a light layer of bread crumbs over the cheese / mayo mixture.  The original recipe doesn't call for this, but I had read it as a variation and decided to try it, especially since I didn't use the fresh grated Parmesan.  The final dish definitely benefited from the texture added.

And then I baked those babies.  45 minutes at 375 degrees worked just fine - just like the original recipe called for.  They were golden, moist, and delicious.  And yes, they were melt in your mouth!

The Verdict:
I'm always looking for another way to use chicken breasts.  Like ground turkey, these seem to be staples for our family.  Or maybe it's just what I'm comfortable cooking with!  I've been crockpotting the chicken a lot lately and this baked kind was a good change.  The chicken itself was a little dry, but when eaten with the topping it was moist and delicious.  Even DH couldn't stop saying how much he liked it and how good it smelled while cooking!  Or maybe that was just because we decided to eat after Little One went to bed :)  Ahhh, to eat in sweet peace.  I think I'll have seconds!

Enjoy this beautiful SPRING (okay, really summer) weather!
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Love your changes! I am definitely adding breadcrumbs next time. Plus, I like the less mayo thing...our dish always just has juice sitting in it -way too much sauce! Perfect! I'll try it out next week with your expert re-dos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely worth it! The breadcrumbs added a little crunch!

    ReplyDelete