Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pork Tenderloin with Broccoli and Gorgonzola Polenta

This was one of the first recipes I made in our new home.  It didn't turn out as great as I'd hoped so I was just going to skip posting it.  But, for better or worse, right?!  This meal wasn't bad, it just wasn't the fantastic thing I'd hoped it would have been.  The reason?  The red wine made the pork tenderloin look purple.  Weird color.  Maybe next time I'll try white wine instead, haha!  And let's be honest, I was just having one of 'those days'.  It probably could have been a four-star dinner and I still would have found a way to pick out all its flaws.  Don't you just love that?  Let's be real.  Why are we so hard on ourselves?  Am I the only one who feels the need to be perfect? The quest will drive you crazy. Trust me.  Let's just take a moment to thank the good Lord that we don't have to be perfect. AMEN.

I shredded the meat and was able to get past the color.  And once I did, I realized this was a pretty tasty meal!

Pork Tenderloin with Broccoli and Gorgonzola Polenta - Recipe inspiration taken from here and here


For the pork:
1 (2 lb) pork tenderloin (mine was 1.5 lbs)
1 envelope dry onion soup mix (I used about half a package because I find them salty sometimes)
1 cup water
3/4 cup red wine
3 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons soy sauce

Directions
Place pork tenderloin in a slow cooker with the contents of the soup packet.  Pour water, wine and soy sauce over the top turning the pork to coat.  Carefully spread garlic over the pork, leaving as much on top of the roast during cooking as possible.  Season with pepper, cover and cook on low for 4 hours*.  

I used Merlot.  Maybe next time I'll use something else.  These little individual bottles are 3/4 cup so you don't have to break out a whole bottle for one recipe. And as you can see, I thought I had soy sauce, but it ended up being teriyaki sauce.  Boo.  So I opted for some worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke.
I added all of the liquid ingredients together then put in my tenderloin.  I turned it with tongs to coat.  Note: Don't forget to wash your tongs or use new tongs when you're done cooking to avoid cross contamination.  Then on the top I placed my garlic.  I love this minced garlic in the jar.  I can keep it in the refrigerator and it's always ready to go.
 
 * From above: I was reading the reviews on the website where I got the pork recipe.  Some people said they had problems with their pork not being done in 4 hours on low.  So I cooked mine with 2 hours on high and 1 1/2 to 2 hours on low.  That worked - maybe a little overdone.  Just check yours as you cook with a meat thermometer to make sure.

For the broccoli and polenta:
1 head fresh broccoli cut into florets (I find this in the produce section where they've already chopped it up for me - talk about a time saver!)
garlic powder, to taste
4 cups milk (I used 2 cups whole & 2 cups 1%)
1 cup polenta
1/3 cup gorgonzola, crumbled for serving

Directions
In a microwave safe dish with a lid, place broccoli and a little bit of water. Sprinkle with garlic powder, cover and microwave until tender (I microwaved mine for 4 minutes).  Meanwhile, bring milk to a boil.  Add the polenta and whisk until thickened.  Top with crumbled gorgonzola to taste.
Be careful when bringing the milk to a boil.  You will want to whisk it so it doesn't stick and burn while it's warming up.  Once you add the polenta and whisk, it gets delicious and creamy.  Mmmm...

Plate and serve.  This recipe makes 4 servings.

The Verdict:
So I think you already know how I feel about this recipe.  It is definitely a love / hate relationship.  I want to make some adjustments next time.  Use what the recipe calls for in the pork: soy sauce.  Use a different wine.  Otherwise, the broccoli was perfectly steamed and the polenta was creamy and tangy.  The meat was juicy and perfectly able to be shredded (thankfully!! so I didn't have to look at the dark outside :))  If you took a bite of everything together, it was a yummy mouthful.  Let me know what you think when you try it out!

Cheers to not being perfect!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment