Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Apple and Cheese Quesadilla

I'm on the search for different quick and easy breakfasts.  We always fall back to the same two things: scrambled eggs or peanut butter, banana, and honey english muffins. We're always looking for a healthy alternative to quick and easy.  It's just hard to find something with a good balance of protein and fiber to keep you fuller longer.  Funny that I hardly ever ate breakfast growing up and now I can't live without it.  Amazing what your body gets used to!

Enter apple and cheese quesadillas.  They're that easy.

Ingredients
grated cheese, to your desired amount - I used about a 1/4 cup
1/2 - 3/4 apple, peeled and sliced
2 whole wheat tortillas

1) Grate some cheese (I used Vermont sharp cheddar) and slice a peeled apple (I used something called a "Crisper" - it was green like a Granny Smith, but wasn't as tart.


2) In a dry pan (or you can butter it) place a whole wheat tortilla.  Place a layer of cheese and apples down.  Add a top tortilla.

3) Cook until both sides are toasted lightly brown and the cheese is melted.

4) Cut into 6 wedges with a pizza cutter.  (Sorry no pictures.  It was a hectic morning when I made these.)  Enjoy!


The Verdict
My DH and I split one of these along with a fruit smoothie I made the same morning.  The problem is I also had to make his lunch and didn't allow enough time to do all three and take pictures.  That's why it was hectic.  Next time I'll know! But I loved this breakfast quesadilla.  It was something different.  The apples were cut thin enough that they got a little soft but still retained a bite.  And the salty sharp cheese was a nice complement to the sweet, tart apple.  I can say, for the first time in a while, this breakfast paired with the smoothie kept me full all the way until lunch.  Usually I get hungry again around 10 (eating breakfast around 7:30), but not this time.  I made it all the way until 11:30.  I will make these again!  And I can't wait to try one out for Little One.  I think he'll like it too.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment