Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Pita Pizzas

This was a surprise hit for our family!  It's a versatile and delicious little bite of goodness.  You have to try these.  Yes, totally go get the ingredients and make them tomorrow!
Look how cute they are!  Pardon the weird lighting in the pictures - I guess that's what sticky baby fingers on the camera lens does for you ;)

Pita Pizzas - Inspired by this recipe


Whole wheat pitas (one per person)
marinara sauce (I just used some pizza sauce I had)
shredded mozzarella 
toppings of your choice:  I used prosciutto and green pepper


Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Place pita bread in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with foil (makes for easy clean up!).  Spread 2 tablespoons pizza sauce on each pita.  Top with toppings of your choice.  Sprinkle with cheese to your liking.  Bake 10 - 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.  Serve immediately.

I found these cute things in the grocery store and have since seen mini ones (how cute would that be for mini kids' pizzas?!?).  Funny story.  I had mozzarella cheese in my fridge.  However it had been there seeeeevvveeeral months too long so I decided to toss it.  It may or may not have been green.  Oops.  All I had left was provolone deli slices.  I just tore up the slices and it worked too.  I cut up the prosciutto into strips (it gets crispy like bacon!) and diced up half of a green pepper.  

Put the pizza sauce on and assemble the pizzas.  I, personally, put too much sauce on this time around and have since made them with less sauce!  But that's what I looooove love love about these little babies.  You can make them however you jolly well please.  And you can make yours different from your hubbies.  And that even different from your kids.  Ah-mazing.  I love these kinds of recipes.

I cooked mine for 15 minutes to get the prosciutto slices crispy.  The pitas held up well and didn't get too brown.  Serve along with a salad or some fruit and dinner or lunch (or breakfast!!) is served!

The Verdict
Let me tell you how much we loved this recipe.  We've had these little gems three times in two weeks.  They're so customizable.  I know I keep harping on it, but I just can't tell you enough how great they are!  I've since made other pizzas with shredded mozzarella and it was amazing how stringy and gooey the cheese got in the oven.  The pitas get perfectly toasty and their hearty texture holds up well to the toppings.  You can really load on the toppings of your choice and the pizzas don't flop.  I thought about making a cheese pizza for Little One.  You could also make these for breakfast with some eggs, bacon and/or sausage, and cheese.  Mmmm...  As a matter of fact, I might just make that for breakfast in the morning!  Wowzers.  That just made me hungry!  Can I tell you also, some basil pesto instead of the pizza sauce is also really tasty!!  You can really control the quality of the ingredients by making your own and these are just as quick as a frozen pizza.  Seriously, go try these as soon as you can - give me a shout and let me know what ingredients you used :)

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. So funny you mention this! I just made these last week for the first time and wondered why I hadn't thought of it before? I could make Elli a cheese one, make mine without cheese and loaded with veggies (still dairy free diet), and make Jacob's just the way he likes them. It really is a great thing - especially for Elli! They have these 100 calorie pita bread rounds by the sliced bread at Food Lion and thats what I get for Elli sometimes!

    ReplyDelete