Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Breakfast Burritos: Freezer Friendly

Y'all.  Let me tell you what.  I made these babies last night and was so stoked when I calculated the costs... $1.50 each.  And in one cooking session, I made enough to have 14 breakfast burritos for DH and I to have in the mornings.  If you're like us, any extra way to stretch a buck is always appreciated.  Imagine my surprise this morning when I heated mine up and found that Little One also enjoyed this breakfast treat!!  I ended up making it with organic hash browns, organic uncured bacon (no nitrates), and organic eggs.  So I was stoked that they only cost $1.50.  And boy, were they yummy!  You should totally make these... soon!  Help keep your wallet and tummy full with these filling and delicious burritos :)

Breakfast Burritos - from this recipe

Ingredients:
Any kind of breakfast filling you want - I stayed true to her recipe and used:
- 13 eggs
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 2 bags frozen hashbrowns (+ 3 tablespoons butter)
- 1 bag shredded cheese
- 3/4 pack of bacon (I just made the whole pack and will use the rest later on this week)
- whole wheat tortillas

This made 14 burritos.  I didn't use burrito sized tortillas because I wanted to use our lower sodium whole wheat ones we like.  It took me an hour from the opening of the bacon package to wrapping up the last burrito... so it does take some time.  But just think that you have 14 healthy breakfast options ready to go!  And you don't have to do anything in the morning but pop one in the microwave to reheat.  Now that's my kind of breakfast!!

Directions:

 1) Gather ingredients.  I bought two dozen eggs, four 8 packs of tortillas, 3 bags of frozen hashbrowns, two bags of cheese, and two packs of bacon.  Now, I decided I would just make enough to make 12+ burritos.  It would have taken extra time to cook all the ingredients and I didn't have the time last night.  I will save the rest of the ingredients for future use.


The website where I got the recipe had very basic instructions.  She said she cooked the bacon in the oven (no instructions how ;)) and that she cooked the hashbrowns with a little bit of butter on the stovetop (again, no instructions ;)). I am a literal cooker when it comes to things I've never tried before.  I've never cooked bacon in the stove or made hashbrowns on the stovetop.  So, I'll walk you through my mistakes so you won't make the same :)
 
 2) Cook the bacon.  I googled "how to cook bacon in the oven" and got this informative site. I followed the directions:
- Foil line a baking sheet
- Arrange bacon on sheet
- Put in a cold oven then start up to 400 degrees.
- Cook for 17 - 20 minutes.  (I checked the bacon at 18 minutes and the pieces on the end were starting to get crispy.  So I removed them and stuck the rest of the tray back in for an additional 2 minutes.  The bacon was still a little floppy for my taste, so next time I'll probably do an additional 3-5 minutes or so.  It was still fine for our purposes today.)
- Remove bacon immediately from the baking sheet when you're done because it will continue to cook.
- Lay on bacon paper towel lined plates to soak up some of the excess grease.
P.S.  Be careful when removing pan from the oven - there is hot bacon grease floating around.  It made me nervous. Haha!  But it was generally a less mess method of cooking it.


 3) While the bacon is cooking, cook the hashbrowns.  Now, being a literal first cook (see above ;)) I literally sautéed the hashbrowns in a little bit of butter.  They ended up like browned mashed potatoes.  Thhhhheeeeeeeeenn, I read the package.  So I tell you.  Cook according to package directions! I clearly did not.  Haha!

Aaaaaaaannnnnnd don't crowd the pan - I tried to cook 2 packages at once and it was a mess.  But we made do!

 4) Once the hashbrowns are done, scramble the eggs.   I added two big handfuls of baby spinach into the eggs.  Before you put it in the pan, be sure to mix the spinach into the eggs.  Add any additional ingredients into your eggs that you like.  Scramble the eggs until set.


 5) Set up your assembly line and assemble one at a time.  Allow bacon to cool completely.  It's okay if the eggs and hashbrowns are still a little warm.  A helpful note: What I did before I got started assembling was to take a knife and section off 12 equally sized portions of the eggs and hashbrowns.  This way I have equally filled burritos.  I also only used a half a slice of bacon for each one.


I did also notice that it is easier to add the toppings in this order: egg, bacon, hashbrowns, cheese (instead of how it is pictured).  I rolled each burrito up individually making sure that the ends were tucked in.  This was hard not to over stuff.  Believe me though, restrain, it'll make your life so much easier!  Once I was done wrapping I held the burrito in place with a little pressure for a bit to make sure it wouldn't unroll.

6) As I was making them, I stacked the burritos between layers of wax paper so they wouldn't stick together while I was finishing them.

Once completed, wrap each individual burrito tightly in plastic wrap.  This, honestly, was the most frustrating part of the whole experience - I hate how plastic wrap folds up on itself!! Haha!


7) Put the individually wrapped burritos in freezer safe bags.  I wrote the reheat directions on the outside:   - Unwrap  - Reheat 2 -3 minutes  - Let stand  (These are the instructions from the original site so I haven't tried them out yet.  I will probably wrap the burrito in a paper towel before reheating.  It also might be better to take one out and put it in the refrigerator the night before, then heating 1 minute - if it's thawed.)


8) Enjoy the fruits of your labor.  P.s.  I had one this morning - and it was DELICIOUS!!

The Verdict
Gather these ingredients.  Make these tonight when Little Ones are in bed.  You will not be sorry for the time it takes to make these!  And the best part is they are completely customizable to whatever you like to have in your breakfast burritos.  I will also use the leftover tortillas to make some lunch / dinner burritos with bean, corn, chicken, and cheese filling.  Think Cilantro Lime Chicken ready to go in a snap.  Wow.  I'm super stoked to find this recipe.  I hope you'll enjoy it as much as we did!!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment