Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

These tasty treats are good for the Little One and with the addition of some of this ooey gooey chocolate peanut butter dip they become a sweet treat for Mom and Dad!  You can't even taste that they're loaded with zucchini!!  You can use these as breakfast muffins - they'd be delicious with a hot cup of coffee AND you can top them with some icing to fulfill your sweet tooth that {at least for me} rears its head after dinner!   Enjoy these universal muffins!!


Chocolate Zucchini Muffins - from this website

Ingredients
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (I just used regular milk because I couldn't find buttermilk and didn't feel like trying to make my own ;))
1/2 cup oil (I used canola)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup flour (I used a cup of all-purpose and 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups shredded zucchini (I used one large and 2 smaller ones)

Directions
Can we just talk about how much of a dork I am?  I was taking pictures for the majority of the process with NO SD card.  Blergh.  So, walk with me through the steps, sans pictures ;)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, and milk.  Whisk until combined.  Add in brown sugar and vanilla, and whisk well.  

In a separate bowl, combine salt, flour, cocoa, baking powder, and cinnamon.  Toss to combine.  Stir into wet ingredients with a spatula or wooden spoon, half at a time.

 Mix thoroughly.

 Shred zucchini.
Stir in the zucchini and mix well.  I was amazed at how much these looked like brownies!
 Use an ice cream scoop to fill the prepared muffin liners about 3/4 of the way full.  This recipe made 18 muffins for me even though the recipe says 12 - 15.  Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean.  I cooked them for 26 minutes.

Enjoy. Enjoy. Enjoy.

The Verdict
I popped one of these in my mouth expecting they would taste like brownies.  Unfortunately, they do not.  {But they are moist!} I kept thinking, "All they need is a little icing!"  But I had nothing.  They would be great with some prepared icing.  Also with a little cream cheese icing.  I decided to whip together some of my ooey gooey chocolate peanut butter dip - a little bit thicker by adding more chocolate chips - and slathered on the mixture as if it was frosting, warm, straight from the microwave!  Can I say HEAVEN!?!  Can we call these good for you?  Okay, maybe better than a traditional cupcake?!?!  I thought I totally might try to sneak these in as a birthday cupcake sometime.  Would that make me a bad Mama?  ;)  Because they're not overly sweet, they also make a great kids treat just the way they are - no icing.  I'm always looking for ways to get Little One to eat his veges.  Why not surprise him with these yummy muffins!?!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment