Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Frozen Yogurt Berries

Heeeeelllllllooooooooo!  Lots of new things going on with OurGreeneHome lately!  Let's see here - I've started a Facebook page, revamped my Etsy store and sold my FIRST official order!  Of course, don't forget you can also hop on over and find us on Pinterest too.  Join us to see what's up!!  I guess there's been a lot of time to sit and think about what the new year will look like around these parts.  Unfortunately I haven't been cooking much lately thanks to DH and Little One being sick basically for the whole month of January so far!  Boo.  Poor fellas!  A touch of pneumonia (DH) and conjunctivitis (Little One) about did us in last week.  Thanks to my trusty teacher immune system, I've been playing mommy, wife, and most importantly nurse - doling out lots of hugs, Kleenex, and medicine.  SO.   Sorry for the absence of blog posts!  Now you know why ;)  Thankfully, they are both on the mend now.  February is looking up!


Here's a tasty treat that I tried thanks to a Pinterest find... I made it last week because I knew I had the ingredients on hand.  We were looking for sore throat remedies and healthy sweet treats... and quite frankly I was going stir crazy!  Haha!


These are easy peasy.  Seriously.  And seriously good.  The yogurt makes the berries creamy and the sweetness from the honey pairs well with the tangy berry bites.  These frozen yogurt berries would be so good on top of frozen yogurt ice cream, pound cake, angel food cake, and remember these?   Drizzle with a hit of melted chocolate for a less-than-sinful treat! Sign.  Me.  Up.

Frozen Yogurt Berries - from this blog

1/2 cup plain, Greek yogurt (or yogurt of choice)
2 teaspoons honey (or to your taste)
berry mixture (I used strawberries, rasberries, and blueberries)

Don't blink or you'll miss how easy these are to come together!

1.  Gather ingredients.  I just had a large container of Greek yogurt, so I scooped out 1/2 cup.  But the original blogger just used an individual size Greek yogurt container.  So smart and less mess!

 2.  Add your honey.  Mix well.

3.  Wash your berries and dry them off.  This is how many berries I used - I didn't want to waste these in case we didn't like them.  Let's just say none were wasted ;)

 4.  Roll berries in yogurt.  Use a spoon or toothpick to cover them completely with the yogurt and to remove.  I found it easier to do the rasberries and strawberries one and a time and to use a toothpick to help get them out.  Using a spoon for the blueberries and rolling multiple blueberries at a time worked best for me!

 5.  Place yogurt covered berries on wax or parchment paper on a freezer safe tray or plate.  Freeze.

And enjoy!
I froze them about 4 hours before we tried them.  Yum!  The leftovers sit in a quart bag in the freezer now.  


The Verdict
These would be terrific in the summer.  It's 13 degrees right now.  Ahhh, to be warm in the sunshine.  But I digress!  I will definitely keep this recipe around for this summer.  Plump, luscious, perfectly ripe berries.  Frozen.  Sweet.  Tangy.  Hello perfect dessert.  p.s.  Bananas would be good too!! And I'm seriously thinking about some pound cake drizzled with Amaretto, topped with these berries and melted chocolate.  Yes.  Yes.  I'm making that SOON!  p.p.s.  Oh-KAY.  We are still thinking healthy options for the new year ;)  Top your morning oatmeal with these babies for a hit of refreshing deliciousness!!

Enjoy :)
I hope you and yours are doing well!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment