Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Baked Broccoli & Rice Cups

My SIL and her sweet husband came for a visit (waaaay back in February).  We had a busy weekend planned and I was looking for vegetarian friendly recipes to meet her needs.  Can I just say I'm so glad I have someone I can bounce ideas off of as I contemplate heading more towards a vegetarian lifestyle for myself?!  I found these baked broccoli and rice cups on Pinterest - old trusty friend - and decided they were exactly what I was looking for!

They had a great texture and were very filling.  
Great for little ones or those on the go!  

Baked Broccoli & Rice Cups - from this site

Ingredients
1 cup quick-cooking rice
1 cup chicken stock (I used vegetable stock)
1 10oz box frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed and squeeeeezed
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup Homemade Ranch dressing, or store bought (I substituted Plain Greek Yogurt and some oregano instead - **See note below)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
salt and pepper to taste 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare rice, substituting stock for water.  Place cooked rice in bowl and let cool.  Squeeeeeeze the thawed, chopped broccoli so you get out as much water as you can.  Add 1/2 cup of the cheese, yogurt/dressing, and 2 eggs to the bowl. 
Stir to combine.  Use an ice cream scoop to scoop your mixture into your well greased muffin tins.  You can also bake this in a casserole dish.

Top with the remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until tops are lightly browned and edges are starting to get crispy.

 Let cool slightly and...
ENJOY!

**NOTE**
I have since found this recipe for a homemade ranch dressing.  These needed the flavor I think the ranch dressing would provide.  I'm trying it this way next time!  You should try it the first time.

The Verdict
I loved these little goodies.  It was like a complete meal in your hand.  Little One enjoyed these - and they were a great vegetarian option.  As is - with the yogurt instead of the dressing - they were a little plain for my taste, but were great for Little Ones.  So next time, I'm definitely trying this recipe for Homemade Ranch. These would make great go-to lunches for adults and children alike.  Hope you enjoy them too!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment