Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Slow and Steady - Black Bean Burger

So here is the deal with plant based eating (I like to say that instead of vegan - the word vegan scares people!), I think easing in is best.  You know, kind of a "slow and steady" mentality?  Now some people can dive right in, throw everything away that isn't plant based and be just fine, but the idea of committing to something like that scared me.

So, my husband and I approached it as more of a "slow and steady" thing.  For instance, we started with just replacing one night a week with a plant based menu.  Then it became two and it grew from there but it was just dinner.  Then I started working on snacks for us that would healthy (which is when I discovered Vegan Shakeology - AMAZING, gave me tons of energy).  Then I finally started working on our lunches. Our commitment to plant based eating evolved and that was a great way to do it for us.

When we were just looking for an easy week night meal, I discovered Black Bean Burgers.  Now if you are trying to convince your very carnivorous husband to start eating a plant based diet, I wouldn't start with these little beauties.  They are delicious but if a person is thinking that is going to taste like the Burger King burger, we have troubles.

However, if you are a plant based fan already - try these puppies out.  We love them and eat them at least once a week at our house.  I timed it tonight - took me exactly 5 minutes prep time. You read right - FIVE MINUTES.  Then they cook for 15 minutes.  We serve them with sweet potatoes or frozen sweet potato fries and fruit.
So let me tell you how easy this is.

You will need:
1 15 ounce can black beans
1/3 cup quick cook oats
1 tablespoon of mustard
2 tablespoons of ketchup
sprinkle in some garlic or onion powder

Here is what ya do!
Rinse and drain the beans and then mash them in a bowl (you don't want them pureed, still should be able to see pieces).
Add in oats, ketchup, mustard, and spices
Stir together and form into four patties.

Bake at 400 for 7 minutes on a greased or lined cookie sheet.  Then flip and bake 7 more minutes until crispy.

We find that we really like this when we pile the bun high with pickles, spinach or kale, ketchup, mustard, and anything else can find (avocado slices, even salsa!) They are so versatile and easy.

Now, bare with me because I need to work on learning to take pictures while cooking and actually take a nice picture after cooking, but here is my burger ready to go!  What a sad little picture of a great meal.  I burnt the buns - whoops!  But seriously, I will take better pictures.

Try this for yourself.  Its good!  I promise!!

Recipe taken from http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/quick-black-bean-burger/



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment