Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Crock Pot Indian Spiced Chickpea Stew

That is quite a long title for quite an easy dish. This isn't the easiest crock pot thing I make because it requires (wait for it) the chopping of TWO vegetables.  So seriously, it is pretty easy in the scheme of things. I like to make this while my kids eat breakfast and let it simmer on low all day long. By lunch my house smells like our favorite Indian Restaurant downtown.  I will definitely include the link to the original recipe. I had to modify a bit yesterday because I didn't have all ingredients on hand, but that is the beauty of this recipe - you can really make it to fit your style.

Here's What You Need:


  • 2 cups water and 2 cups veggie broth (or really just 4-5 cups of liquid)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes 
  • 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
  • 1-2 stalks celery chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric 
  • (Ok I messed around with these because they are my favorite spices - check the original recipe for other alternatives)
  • salt, to taste

Here's What You Do:

-  Chop your veggies
-  Put everything in the crock pot
-  Cook on low for 6-9 hours

I also whipped up a side of home made hummus for this. I threw a tablespoon or two on top of each bowl of soup and WOW!  Adding the hummus really gave it a kick of flavor and made the soup smooth (that is the only way I can describe it).  The hummus was super simple and any of your favorite hummus recipes would do.  I will write up my favorite one as I perfect it - it isn't quite right yet....

Ok confession time. I made this on a Thursday night - the night I teach a class at our local YMCA. When I walk in the door I am ravenous from the exercise and kids are ready to eat too. I forgot the after picture because I dove right in to eating.  But just imagine those veggies very tender and the quinoa cooked just right. I am hungry just thinking about it.

I served this with our grocery store bakery's Nann bread, a spinach salad, and fruit.  Seriously one of my favorite meals.  Now let's be honest, my kids are not going to eat this one...but sometimes I want to have an adventurous meal and I'll fix them a side of mac and cheese. Pick your battles right??

Enjoy this one and let me know how you fix it up!











Original recipe here:
http://healthyslowcooking.com/2012/01/31/slow-cooker-indian-spiced-chickpea-quinoa-stew/
Don't forget about our 21 Days to Fit and Fab challenge. This thing is incredible.  In week one, my challenger lost 8 pounds just focusing in on good clean nutrition with correct portion sizes.  Comment below for more info - waiting list starting now for our March group!  Check out more details at www.facebook.com/laurawallerteamact





Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment