Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Roasted Veggie Enchiladas

This is seriously one of my favorite meals.  However, it takes a little more prep than I like to do so I don't cook it as frequently as I would like.  But when I am done eating it, I remind myself that it was worth every second of work I put into it. I believe there are probably tons of ways to make this dish work for you so be creative.

I am including the link to the original recipe. You will see their creation is much more intricate than mine - I tend to simplify so I can use what I have in the pantry and minimize time in the kitchen. But do glance at the original because I am sure it is delicious!

Here's What You Need for the Simple Version:
-2 red bell peppers chopped up
-1 cauliflower chopped up
-1 small sweet potato chopped
-1 cup frozen corn kernels
-1 onion diced
-olive oil or coconut oil
-1.5 tsp cumin (I even use more because I love that flavor!)
-2 garlic cloves minced (I buy mine already minced!)
-2 cups salsa
-spinach leaves
-approximately 9 or 10 tortillas (I use whole wheat flour but the original recipes calls for corn)

Optional:  shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions

Here's What You Do:
1.  Preheat the oven to 425 and lightly grease a cookie sheet (I put aluminum foil down for less clean up).
2.  Put all of your veggies on the sheet and drizzle about 2-3 tablespoons olive oil on top and sprinkle with cumin.  Put a pinch of salt and pepper on if you'd like and then use your hands to mix it all together.  
3.  Be sure the vegetables are in a single layer and then place in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the veggies are nice and tender. Some will have brown spots - even better!
The recipe says stir the veggies every 10 minutes for even roasting but I always forget!




Sometimes I do this step in the afternoon and then come back to assemble the dish and bake later.

4.  Now here comes the fun part.  Lightly spray an 8x8 dish.  
5. Spread 1/4 cup salsa on the bottom, then add a layer of tortilla pieces to cover the salsa.  Top with 1/3 of the veggies, handful of spinach and then if using cheese, 1/3 of the cheese too. (We omitted the cheese and this thing is still amazing).  Then make another layer of tortilla, salsa, spinach, veggies, and cheese,  Finally a third layer of tortilla, salsa, veggies, and cheese (are you hungry yet?!) 


6. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
7. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until everything is heated through.


The recipe says let it sit for 5 minutes and then cut into squares. I never let it sit - I'm too hungry!! You can top with sour cream and green onions but I never feel the need to.  As you can see in the picture above, I even was so hungry I forgot to take a "finished' shot.  This is the only little square of left overs that we had.  Everyone loves this thing.

This dish is amazing (can you tell I like it?). When you bite into a roasted sweet potato and the red peppers - wow!  So it is worth the time it takes to prep and by roasting your veggies early in the day, it doesn't seem as bad in the evening.

Delish!


Original  Recipe Here:
http://www.perrysplate.com/2011/03/stacked-roasted-vegetable-enchiladas.html


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment