Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

Summer Fruity Ice Pops

I don't know about you, but I'm ready for SUMMER!!  This was a long winter and spring has proven to be a damp and dreary one.  I'm soaking up these warm days, as few and far between as they are, until those lasting summer days emerge!  I'm always looking for a freezer pop recipe because the ones in the store... even the fruit ones... are just so dang packed with sugar, sugar, and more sugar!  Is it just me or do they have a weird aftertaste? Why would you need to sweeten already sweet fruit??  So, I was pleasantly surprised to find this little gem of a recipe.  It is a breeze to prepare and delightfully refreshing without all the extra BLAH.

Summer Fruity Ice Pop - based on this pin (original link is broken)

Ingredients
Fresh Fruit (frozen will work in a pinch), sliced into 1/8" slices or diced into small 1/4" pieces 
Coconut water
Popsicle molds

Directions
1) Prepare fruit.  
2) Drop in popsicle mold.
3) Top with coconut water.
4) Freeze.
5) Enjoy! :)  

Yep.  It really is that easy!

A few notes:
I've never used coconut water before.  I don't know what I was expecting it to be like... but it wasn't what I was expecting! Ha!  It is basically a thick water with a hint of a little sweetness - no real coconut flavor. 

I also used this 10 popsicle stick.  This container only took about half of that large jug o' coconut water. In each mold I could fit in one sliced strawberry, 1/4 kiwi, and five frozen blueberries (you could also use fresh - this is just what I had on hand).

The Verdict
This popsicle would be absolutely delicious with any fruit you had on hand.  Mangoes, watermelon, pineapple, banana, oranges, peaches, blueberries, strawberries, kiwi... you name it.  Anything!  Basically what this popsicle is a way to eat frozen fruit without all the fuss on the go.  I think it also might be good to fill the popsicle mold halfway with a fresh fruit puree then top with coconut water.  There are endless possibilities!  I loved the subtly sweet flavor these popsicles had... you can really taste the fruit and its sweetness!  These are going to be great on a hot, summer day!

What fruit combos did you use?

Hang in there - Summer is ALMOST here!!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment