Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Year, New Calendar, New Idea


So this was the starting step to my new found fire to get this blog up and rolling.  Last week, I started a food calendar.  To keep me sane and to use up the food we had in the fridge, to be quite honest.  However, it has become a wonderful tool for both myself and my husband.  He can easily fix his own food for lunch, if needed, based on lunch and snack ideas presented.  And with a baby, I don't have to think "What's for dinner?" and waste energy - figuratively and literally - standing in front of an open fridge or staring aimlessly in front of the pantry.  I've discovered that the 'mommy brain' is a true and valid feature of my new life.  I don't remember stuff like I used to.  Thusly, a LOT of food went to waste, especially perishable fruits and veges.

Our New Year's Resolution is to eat better.  I must admit, with a baby and a nice Italian joint that delivers, we have let our eating habits go.  I've always loved dabbling in food and my dear husband is good to at least try everything I fix.  Yes, everything.  Did I mention how incredibly supportive he is?  There have been things that have not been great at all.  There was that one time... warm tuna mac, corn in the corn bread.  Who knew?  I would agree with him, that the warm tuna was less than appealing - and don't mess with good ol' mac and cheese.  I'm excited to say though, that his ham, mustard, and cheddar cheese sandwich days have come around to the (my) dark side {insert only slightly-evil laugh here} and he now enjoys coffee BLACK and blue cheese.  I'm proud.  Even if he will never understand the non-pregnancy appeal to mustard and cold mac and cheese or Texas Pete on just about anything.  But I digress...

Back from that incredibly long, but poignant tangent... ah hum... Our New Year's Resolution, well not even a resolution because we never keep those.  But after the yummy delicious indulgence of all sorts of family Holiday cooking, we decided we just couldn't eat like that forever and needed better on a normal, everyday routine. My goal is to cook more at home and eat processed foods less.  I'm starting to think of cooking for not just my husband, but my family now.  I'd like to be able to feed my son what I cook for us.  Well, this requires more natural, wholesome ingredients.  I envision baking cookies with him when he gets older and involving him in dinner making whenever I can.  My goal - lofty as it may be now, did I mention he's only 7 months old - is to offer a variety of foods and get an inquisitive young foodie in return.  What fun to share an adventurous spirit and love for food with my family.

So, while I feel like "WHY AM I STAYING HOME?  BLERG." I now realize that I have this amazing opportunity to do all the creative things I've always wanted to do.  Take cooking classes?  Photography lessons?  Paint?  Yard sale?  Flea Market search?  So if I make money at it, great.  But if not, I've always done the most important thing...

Helped to make my family healthy and happy.


This is my gift to them.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment