Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Citrus Chicken Strips: Freezer Friendly

I promise you.  These babies couldn't be easier to make... and eat!  The hardest part - for me at least ;) - is slicing the raw chicken into strips.  You marinate these gems, cook them up, then freeze them into portioned sizes.  That way you can pull them out of the freezer, reheat them, and you're ready to go!  So far, we've used them as salad toppers for a Greek-type salad and a Mexican-inspired bean and corn salad.  Let's talk about easy!!



Citrus Chicken Strips - from this site, thanks to Pinterest for introducing me to this :)

1 Orange
1 Lime
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into strips

Directions:
Funny thing is I just read that you should have grated the ginger.  Haha! I concur.  I diced mine and it made it difficult to get off the chicken when I went to cook it.  Wow.  So, it works if you dice it, but it's definitely better to grate it!! ;)  Combine juice from orange, juice from lime, ginger, garlic, chili powder, and cumin.  Mix together thoroughly.

Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch strips.  Pour mixture into a large ziplock bag and add the chicken.  Seal and refrigerate for 2 hours.  After the chicken is marinated, discard the marinate.

Cook chicken strips for 2 -3 minutes per side (or until cooked through)

Let cool.  I used about 4-5 pieces of chicken per quart bag.  Then I put each smaller bag into one large gallon freezer safe bag.  To use: Thaw one serving in the refrigerator overnight OR microwave for 2 minutes on high.

The Verdict
The marinade makes them juicy and flavorful. These have a pleasant citrus and slightly spicy, smokey flavor.  The best part is they are ready to go when I need them. I love the fact that they are already cooked and portioned.  I'm not quite sure why I never thought of that before... but it makes it great to send with DH to work.  Love this idea and hope you do too!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment