Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Meatball Subs! - Freezer Friendly!

Along with my freezer cooking preps a few weeks back, I made a pan of meatballs for us to have.  These are by far my favorite - and they are so moist and juicy!  This time instead of making them small, I made them about the size of a ping pong ball and cooked them a bit longer.  Last Saturday, we had just gotten back from a trip and were in full "Let's do nothing" mode.  Ever have one of those days?  We literally did nothing all day.  It was great to relax!

Well, I couldn't very well cook could I?  So I pulled out these babies and whipped up some marinara.  Actually, I had planned to have these sandwiches because I had bought some club rolls and shredded mozzarella, but I forgot the sauce!  So I made some really quickly.  I might just start making it this way all the time.  
For the sauce: Take a large can of whole peeled tomatoes.  Add to a sauce pan and use a spatula to break up the tomatoes.  I added a dash of basil paste and 3 cloves of smashed garlic (that I later removed).  You could also add some red pepper flakes, some onion, and/or olive oil.  This is where you can go crazy.  Add some shredded veges to make a pumped up spaghetti sauce that your kids won't know there's veges hiding in :)  I let it simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For the meatballs: Pull 6 out of the freezer (or enough for you and your family - 3 meatballs per sandwich).  I defrosted at 1.5 minutes on 30% power. Then cooked them for 2 minutes on full power or until heated through.  

Now it's time to assemble the sandwich!  Slice the rolls almost all the way through and place in a "bed" of foil (this will help when you heat it and also helps the sandwich stay upright).  Put in a little marinara, add 3 meatballs, spoon a little more marinara over the meatballs, top with shredded mozzarella cheese and broil until the cheese is brown and bubbly.  I put mine in the toaster oven for even less work!
These were to-die-for.  Really.  And took no time to make!

Put remaining marinara in the refrigerator (or freeze) until you need to use it.  I used it to make Cinci's Chili on Sunday.  Yes!!


The Verdict
Hello easy peasy sandwich.  You are my new favorite.  Yespleaseandthankyou.

P.s. Make meatball sliders the same way for a quick, easy, and fun appetizer!
P.p.s. Even Little One loved these sandwiches!!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment