Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Zucchini Bites for Kids

I have really been putting forth a lot of effort (ok that is an exaggeration but I have randomly been trying) to introduce some home made snacks into my kids' diet. I wanted to get some things in our fridge that could be pulled out and used for quick snacks and lunches instead of having peanut butter and jelly and gummy snacks every day. Now, don't get me wrong, pb&j is a great lunch.  However, we were eating it every.single.day. To that end, I've started trying out some new snacks for us.  We are now consistently eating the peanut butter bars and chocolate chip muffins. Today I decided to try something that could be used as a lunch so I went for the zucchini bites.

Before I start in on this, let me say:  I am amazed at how my children are already conditioned to like processed food better than home made food. I know it is my fault but it makes me upset to see them inhale a bag of fruit chewies and then I have to prompt them along when eating a peanut butter bar. What is that?  It just makes me even more determined to fix these things for them and to help them develop a taste for it. They do eat them and they don't complain (which I know is a blessing) but still - I want a home made peanut butter bar with chocolate chips to be just as enticing as a bag of Dora shaped gummies.  

That being said, prepare yourself for a lot of kid-friendly snacks and lunch options.  I'm trying out a ton and will share my successes with you.



Zucchini Bites!
What you need:
1 C grated zucchini
1/4 of a medium onion diced
1 large egg
1/4 C reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste

What you do:
1.  Preheat over to 400  
2.  Grate the zucchini and squeeze out any excess water.
3.  Combine the rest of ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
4.  Spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
5.  Fill each muffin tin to the top and press down so they are compacted. This will keep them from falling apart later.
6.  Cook for 16-18 minutes

Now confession time.  Here is how I "messed" mine up.
1. I didn't read 1 cup of zucchini so I just grated one zucchini.  Well, it definitely wasn't one cup so I had less of a mix to begin with. You will probably need 2 medium zucchini to get 1 cup.
2.  I just now (as I'm typing this) saw that you were supposed to use a MINI muffin tin. I kept wondering why the original recipe said I would get 12 and I only got 6.  So THAT explains it.

Even with these mess ups, it was a good treat.  We ate them for lunch and the kids liked them. I imagine they will like them even more tomorrow when I let them dip in ranch.  So all in all it was a fairly easy treat to make and something we will do again.  It was definitely an easy way to sneak in extra veggies.  And I guess I need to go and get a mini muffin tin. I've been needing one but now I have a great excuse.  Watch out Target here I come!



Let me know your thoughts on these.  I will be trying them again but next time I will follow the recipe.  I imagine they will still be just as good if not better!







Original recipe from here:
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Great recipe to try and also an enjoyable read that made me laugh! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete